Date: Thursday, March 23, 2023
Location: Lawshe Memorial Museum or Zoom
Fees: $10 per person, $5 for DCHS members
Join the Dakota County Historical Society and professional genealogist Mica L Anders, as she presents "Genealogy 101."
Please note, this event is hybrid. When registering, please select whether you plan to attend in person, or virtual. Virtual attendees will receive a Zoom link as the presentation date approaches. Light refreshments will be served during in-person programs.
Mica Anders will cover some of the skills and records used in basic genealogy. A few of the topics covered will include:
- How to get started researching your family tree
- What is a pedigree chart and how to fill it out
- Basics on how to organize your research and your records
- Where and how to access different record types, such as Census, birth, marriage, and death records
- What are some pitfalls to avoid and how to work around possible roadblocks
Mica L. Anders, Anders Genealogical Services, is a professional genealogist, lecturer, and oral historian with over 15 years of experience. Her special interests include African American genealogy and families from Minnesota, Nebraska, and Missouri. She holds an MFA in art and enjoys combining her two passions - genealogy and art - to research, design, and curate community history exhibits. Ms. Anders is a member of the Association of Professional Genealogists.
Registration is required for this event, though walk-ins are allowed for the in-person program. You must pre-register through the DCHS website to receive the Zoom link.